Are you a commercial property owner in Philadelphia looking to improve the aesthetic appeal of the hardwood floors in your space?
Then this guide is for you.
Hardwood floors add a touch of elegance to any commercial space but require regular maintenance to preserve their appearance and durability.
In this post, we’ll explore the benefits of commercial hardwood floors and how professional floor refinishing can enhance their lifespan and appearance.
We will examine the following:
- projects in popular areas of Philadelphia, like Rittenhouse Square and Society Hill
- how hardwood floor refinishing creates clean, inviting, and long-lasting commercial spaces
Whether your space is a high-traffic office, store, or hotel, professional hardwood floor refinishing is essential to preserve your property’s appeal and longevity.
The benefits of wood flooring in commercial spaces
Hardwood floors are easy to maintain and can be cleaned quickly with a simple swipe of a mop or broom – perfect for commercial spaces!
For a store, restaurant, office, or hotel lobby, there are many wood flooring benefits:
- Aesthetics: Wood flooring is often associated with high-end, upscale aesthetics, which can help to create a warm and inviting atmosphere in stores, offices, and hotel lobbies. The natural look of aesthetic floors helps to convey a sense of elegance and sophistication.
- Durability: Wood flooring is generally very durable and resistant to wear and tear, which makes it the best flooring for high-traffic commercial areas like stores, offices, and hotel lobbies. With proper maintenance, retail, and office wood flooring can last for many years and maintain its appearance. Nothing beats the durability of hardwood floors!
- Maintenance: Wood flooring is easy to clean flooring! It’s relatively easy to maintain, especially if it is finished with a protective sealant. This low-maintenance flooring can be swept or vacuumed regularly to remove dirt and debris, and occasional cleaning with a damp mop is usually sufficient to keep it looking clean and shiny – it’s truly the easiest flooring to clean.
- Hygiene: Wood flooring is a good choice for environments where hygiene is a concern (wood flooring for restaurants is ideal), as it does not trap allergens or dust like carpeting can. This makes it also a good choice for offices and hotels where cleanliness is a top priority.
- Sustainable: Wood flooring is a renewable resource, which makes it a sustainable choice for commercial environments. Many types of wood flooring are also harvested using sustainable forestry practices, which can make them an eco-friendly option that’s also a long-lasting flooring choice.
Simple hardwood refinishing can keep your floors affordable and attractive.
Setting the tone for your space
Hardwood flooring for commercial buildings provides a timeless and elegant look that can add value and sophistication to any commercial space. They are durable and can withstand heavy foot traffic, making them an ideal choice for high-traffic areas.
Durable hardwood flooring also creates a welcoming and professional atmosphere in commercial spaces. Some spaces in Philadelphia feature gorgeous hardwood flooring.
Successful projects in Philadelphia neighborhoods, like Rittenhouse Square and Society Hill
There are numerous successful projects of Philly hardwood floors that feature beautiful and well-maintained hardwood floors.
The Rittenhouse Square area in Philadelphia features restored hardwood floors in many beautiful historic homes and businesses. It adds to their historic charm.
The Society Hill area also features many businesses with updated and well-maintained Philadelphia hardwood floors that add to their overall appeal.
Hygenic and easy maintenance
Hardwood flooring can create a cleaner and more sanitary environment in your business in several ways:
- Easier to Clean: Hardwood floors are smooth and do not have grout lines or fibers to trap dust, dirt, or allergens, making them easier to clean. A simple sweep and occasional mop can keep hardwood floors looking clean and hygienic.
- Resists Stains: Hardwood floors are more resistant to stains and spills than carpets or rugs. Spilled liquids can be easily wiped off restaurant wood flooring, preventing the growth of bacteria and mold.
- Reduces Allergens: Hardwood floors do not trap dust, dirt, or allergens like carpets, which can trigger allergies and respiratory problems in some people. This makes it the ideal flooring for office spaces.
- Does Not Hold Odors: The best solid wood flooring does not hold odors like carpets, which can retain smells from food, pets, or cigarette smoke, making them a more hygienic and pleasant flooring option.
- Durable: Hardwood floors are durable and can last for decades with proper maintenance, reducing the need for frequent replacement and disposal of carpets. Even high-traffic areas in businesses in jam-packed locations in Washinton Square West or Old City can stay clean and inviting.
Overall, hardwood flooring can contribute to a cleaner and more sanitary environment in a business by reducing allergens, stains, and odors, and facilitating easier cleaning and maintenance.
Enhanced durability with hardwood floor refinishing
Refinishing extends the life of hardwood flooring in commercial spaces by removing the damaged and worn-out top layer of the wood.
Commercial spaces (like restaurants and stores) have high-traffic areas that can result in scratches, scuffs, stains, and other types of damage to the flooring.
Refinishing eliminates these damages, restoring the floor to its original condition.
Additionally, refinishing creates a protective layer on the flooring, making it more durable and less prone to future damage. It also helps prevent moisture penetration (sometimes an issue in flooding areas or in kitchen areas) that can lead to warping and cracking of the wood.
Overall, refinishing restores the appearance of the hardwood flooring improves its durability, and protects it from future damage, ultimately extending the life of the flooring in the commercial space.
Examples of spaces in locations in Philadelphia where hardwood floor refinishing by Hudson Hardwood has added longevity and beauty:
Preventing and repairing water damage
Hardwood floor restoration can address water damage by first assessing the extent of the damage.
If the water damage is minimal, the hardwood floor may only require drying and sanding to restore it to its original condition. However, if the water damage is extensive, the hardwood floor may need to be replaced to prevent further damage to the subfloor.
The restoration process may also involve removing any warped or damaged boards, sanding and refinishing the entire floor, and applying a waterproof sealant to prevent future water damage.
- Assess the damage: We first inspect the damaged area and determine the extent of the water damage. Depending on the severity of the damage, we will decide whether to repair or replace the affected hardwood flooring.
- Remove the damaged flooring: If the damage is extensive, we may need to remove the water-soaked boards and replace them with new ones.
- Extract the water: We will remove any standing water from the area to prevent further damage.
- Dry the area: Once the water has been extracted, we will use specialized drying equipment such as dehumidifiers and air movers to dry the affected area completely.
- Repair or replace boards: If the damage is minor, we will repair or sand down the affected boards.
- Sand and refinish: The hardwood flooring will need to be sanded down and refinished to restore its original appearance.
It’s worth noting that the exact process for repairing water-damaged hardwood flooring in a commercial space may vary depending on the severity of the damage, the type of hardwood used, and other factors.
Hudson Hardwood can ensure that the hardwood floor is properly restored to its pre-damaged condition and is protected against future water damage.
The necessity of professional hardwood floor refinishing
There are several reasons why it is important to use professionals to install or refinish your flooring:
Knowledge and expertise
Professional flooring installers and refinishers have the knowledge and expertise to install or refinish flooring to the highest standards. They know how to prepare the surface, lay the flooring, and finish it to achieve a flawless result.
Tools and equipment
Professionals have access to the correct tools and equipment required to install or refinish different types of flooring. They also have the experience necessary to use these tools safely and effectively.
Efficiency and speed
Professionals can complete flooring installation or refinishing projects quickly and efficiently. This means less disruption to your daily routine and faster access to your newly installed/refinished flooring.
Professionals use high-quality materials that are necessary to ensure long-lasting, durable flooring that will look its best for years to come.
Remember, Joe is a Master Craftsman and Hardwood Floor Specialist. He will make sure that your flooring is stunning.
Here are some more examples to illustrate the quality of our work:
Your beautiful hardwood flooring
Over time, even the most well-maintained hardwood floors can start to show signs of wear and tear. Scratches, scuffs, and dents can leave your floor looking dull and worn. However, professional hardwood floor refinishing can restore your flooring to its former beauty and provide a new level of durability.
Hardwood floors can add elegance and value to any commercial space. However, regular maintenance and professional refinishing are essential to preserve their appearance and durability.
At Hudson Hardwood, we are here for all of your Philadelphia hardwood flooring needs. We can help you can create a clean, inviting, and long-lasting commercial space that will impress your clients and customers for years to come.
Q: What is the best flooring for a commercial office, and what type of wood flooring is best?
A: The best flooring for commercial use is hardwood flooring or polished concrete. Commercial-grade carpet tiles can be used, but it does not clean as well. The best wood flooring for commercial use adds undeniable warmth, and it can be refinished to prolong its life. As for the wood used for flooring, there are many strong options.
Q: What are the strongest commercial hardwood flooring options?
A: The strongest commercial wooden flooring options include:
- Brazilian Walnut
- Brazilian Teak
- Brazilian Cherry
- White Oak
- Red Oak
These species are known for their durability, the thickness of hardwood flooring, resistance to wear and tear, and ability to withstand heavy foot traffic that flooring in Philadelphia needs to withstand. They are also less prone to scratches and dents, making them a popular choice for commercial wood floors.
Q: How long will commercial wood flooring last?
A: The lifespan of commercial wood flooring can vary depending on several factors, such as the type of wood, quality of installation, maintenance, and foot traffic. On average, commercial wood flooring can last anywhere from 10 to 25 years with proper care and maintenance. Hardwoods like oak or maple can last up to 25 years, while softer woods like pine or fir may need to be replaced sooner, usually within 10 years. Ultimately, the lifespan of commercial wood flooring can be prolonged by regular maintenance, refinishing, and repair as needed by hardwood floor refinishing companies.